Change is the only constant thing that occurs and same applies to Web Development. It evolves continuously. It is exciting for the developers but, as the law of diminishing marginal utility, this fun also declines. The language, techniques and the new challenges every day, at times, make the work look really monotonous.
The job on it can be about adapting existing methodology with required changes. This may involve chores like testing a website to find technical issues, or optimizing and scaling it for improved performance. Here are some amazing Web development tools and resources that can help you sail through. Most of the tools are used quite often on daily basis. Some of the interesting tools are listed out below:
Front End Frameworks 2017
- Bootstrap- It is good for making responsive websites and apps on web
- Uikit- This source is used to create web interfaces having pace and effective utility.
- Foundation – It is a bouquet of responsive frameworks for building interactive apps and responsive websites that look great on mobile devices.
- Semantic UI- This tool helps in creating attractive apps with the help of HTML
Most Popular Web Application Frameworks
Through this framework, a lot of stress connected with the development of application and websites gets reduced. Here are some remarkable tools
- Ruby- This framework is used to develop web apps with MVC, and backed by database.
- Express – This framework is created for Node.js.
- Django- This is Python framework that helps in crafting logical web designs.
- js- Used to develop creative web designs.
- Angular JS- This allows developers to extend HTML vocabulary for web apps. It is usually be termed as a library.
- Laravel – This comes free and used for web apps based on MVC pattern.
- net- This is a free framework used for developing standards based solutions.
- Zend Framework 2- It’s an open framework used to create web apps using PHP.
- Symphony – It is a collection of PHP components and web app framework.
- Phalcon- This PHP framework is delivered as c-extension.
- Flask- It is a micro framework built on Werkzeug and Jinja2.
- Code igniter – It is an effective PHP framework that helps developers to design full-featured apps
- Cake PHP- It involves lesser coding and makes it easy to develop web apps.
- Underscore JS: These are functional programming helpers that do not offer any built-in objects
- JQuery UI: Set of interface interactions, widgets and themes
- JQuery Mobile: HTML5- good for making responsive websites
- JS: Display dates, manipulate and validate them
- Lodash: Good for modularity, performance and other additional features.
- js: A JS library to manipulate documents established on the provided data
- BackboneJS: A bit of backbone can be provided to the JS app through models, views and collection.
Programming Platforms or Languages
All the web development tools are based on a programming language that is used to interact with the computer. Here are some of the best programming languages used often
- HTML5- It is the latest version of HTML and XHTML
- PHP- It is the scripting language used for web development.
- Python – This programming language brings in faster and more effective working
- Scala- It is an object oriented language
- SQL- This structured query language is best used in relational DB.
- Ruby – This language is specially known for its simplicity and productivity
- Elixir – This language helps in creating scalable apps.
- Golang- It is an open source programming language.
- CSS3 – This is the latest version of cascading style sheets applicable in development of web applications.
- Rust – This systems programming language assures that assures faster tasks and thread safety as well
Package Managers or Task Runners
Tasks runners help in automation of workflow. And, package managers help in tracking all the packages you use and ensure that these are updated and of the specific version you require.
- Gulp – This automates and enhances the workflow by keeping it simple and manageable.
A database is a pool of data and information. You can recover, manage and update it whenever required.
- MySQL: It is an open source relational database.
- PostgreSQL: It is an open source object-RDBMS.
- MariaDB: It is an open source database server built by the developers of MySQL.
- Redis: This is used as a database and message broker, while it is an open source, in-memory data structure store.
- MongoDB: This database helps you build apps that were not possible earlier.
Cascading Style Sheets or CSS Preprocessors
A Cascading Style Sheets preprocessor is a scripting language. It extends the CSS and assembles it in the form of regular CSS.
- Sass: This CSS extension is much stable and powerful.
- Stylus: It is a new language that offers a dynamic and efficient way to create CSS. It supports indented syntax as well as the regular CSS.
- Less: This extension is backwards compatible with CSS.
A good editor is always needed no matter you are coding, or just taking notes.
- Visual Studio Code Beta: This code editor helps in building and debugging the web and cloud apps.
- Atom: This text editor is very approachable and hackable too.
- Notepad++: This is a source code editor that supports many programming languages.
- Sublime Text: This is a text editor having remarkable performance. Used for code, markup and prose.
- TextMate: This is a code and markup editor for Mac OS X.
- Vim: This is a text editor for efficient text editing.
- Coda 2: This text editor is also designed for Mac OS X.
- WebStorm: This is a powerful IDE used in complex client-side and server-side development with Node.js.
- Emacs: This is a customizable text editor having built-in functions. It helps in instant modifications of text and code.
Markdown editor is a markup language. It uses an easy syntax that can be converted to HTML. This is not same as WYSIWYG editor. These editors occur between WYSIWYG and simply writing code.
- Texts: This editor is used for plain text. Windows and OS X.
- StackEdit: This online rich markdown editor is free.
- Mou: This editor is for OS X developers.
- Dillinger: This editor is filled with buzzword. It is cloud-enabled, HTML5 editor.
Every front-end web developer needs icons for accomplishing their projects.
- Fontello: It can be used to create customized fonts with icons.
- Font Awesome: These are scalable vector icons and can be personalized according to size, color, drop shadow etc. with the help of CSS.
- Icons8: These are highly customizable icons.
- Iconfinder: It offers beautiful icons to the web designers.
- Iconmonster: This is a huge source of simple icons that are of high quality.
GIT Clients or Services:
GIT is a source code management system for development of software and web apps.It is known for its distributed revision control.
- GitKraken (Beta): It’s a free and intuitive cross-platform client of GIT.
- GitLab: It lets you to freely host your private and public software.
- Tower 2: This makes easy version control with GIT.
- GitHub Client: An easy method of contributing to GitHub projects and GitHub Enterprise.
- SourceTree: This is a free GIT and Mercurial client for Windows OS or Mac OS.
- Gogs: This is a self-hosted Git service which is based on the Go language.
Local Dev Environments
A local dev environment may be required by you any time. There are many utilities available for free which incorporate Apache, mySQL, phpmyAdmin, etc. This lets you quickly test something on your system. Most of them have portable versions as well.
- XAMPP: Apache distribution has MariaDB, PHP, and Perl and comes for free.
- MAMP: This is local server environment available instantly on Mac OS X and Windows.
- Laragon: This offers an easy way to build an isolated dev environment on Windows. It includes Mysql, PHP Memcached, Redis, Apache, and is good with Laravel projects.
- Vagrant: This allows you to build and configure lightweight dev environments.
- Wampserver: This web development environment for Windows lets designers to build web apps with Apache2, PHP and a MySQL database.
Tools To Test Website Speed
A website’s speed can decide its success to a great extent. A website that loads faster can avail higher ranks in search engines, higher conversion rates, and a remarkable overall user experience. Therefore, you may test the speed of your site.
- Website Speed Test: This is a page speed test that includes a page review too.
- Google Page Speed Insights: This helps in evaluating a web page’s content, and give suggestions to improve that page’s speed.
- GT metrix: Lets you find how well your site performs and gives recommendations for optimization.
- Google Chrome DevTools: This is a set of web authoring and debugging tool for Google Chrome.
- Pingdom: This helps in testing a page’s load time and finding its bottlenecks.
- Web Page Test: You can test the speed of a website from different locations using IE or Chrome browser in real time.
These let you compare the differences between files and then amalgamate the changes.
- Diffchecker: This is an online diff tool used to compare differences between the texts in two text files.
- Beyond Compare: This tool is used to compare files and folders with the help of simple commands.
- Many free text editors mentioned above also come with plugins and can be used to compare files.
Platform for sharing of codes
Code sharing is significant when two remotely located developers want to share their codes. Though, developers can use tools like Slack, but there are some alternatives also.
- Dabblet: This offers an interactive environment for testing snippets of CSS and HTML code.
- codeshare: You can share code with other developers in real-time.
To stay in touch and work efficiently, remote teams usually need a platform to collaborate. The following tools can be of help.
- Jira: This allows the members of your team to plan, track, and issue effective software and web apps.
- Slack: This is a messaging app for easy sharing and communication of teams working remotely from different places.
- Glip: This also offers real-time messaging. It also allows integrated task management, video conferencing, and sharing of calendars.
- Trello: This offers a visual way to organize anything with anyone.
- Asana: This tool helps teams to track their work progress.
Tools That Inspire Web Designers
For web developers, it is essential to get inspired by checking out what others are doing. This helps them in getting new ideas, and ensure the completion of web apps in time.
- Codepen: This allows you to share your latest designs and get feedback.
- Dribble: This is a designers’ community for sharing screenshots of their work and projects.
Newsletters related to Web Development
The following newsletter sources offer best web development and performance topics. Check them out!
- web tools weekly: A newsletter for front-end development and web designing topics. Each issue has a tutorial, with a weekly round-up of new apps, scripts, and other resources.
- info: This provides a selected list of web development related resources. It is published every week.
- com: Another weekly newsletter that focuses on web operations, infrastructure, apps deployment, site performance, etc. from the browser down to the metal.
- co: A weekly newsletter for front-end developers and UX designers.
- friday front-end: This is a newsletter emailed on weekly basis. It has front-end development links that are tweeted daily.
- front-end dev weekly: Again a weekly magazine for front-end developer news.
- /dev tips: This sends developer tips gif form to your inbox every week.
- Smashing magazine: This is an online magazine published every second Tuesday with useful tips and important resources for professional web designers and programmers.
Communities for Web Developers:
Web developers always need a community to solve their queries. Most often they use Google to find answers. However, there are many other communities that help in diagnosing and troubleshooting problems.
- Hashnode: This is global community that connects software developers and helps them to learn coding from each other.
- Stack Overflow: This community has 4.7 million programmers who help each other in doubts.
- Refind: This is a group of founders, hackers, and designers who are involved in finding and sharing the best links in Web.
- Front-end Front: The front-end developers can ask queries here. They can also share links and projects with the community.
- Google+ Web Developers Group: This associates web developers, designers, and programmers.
- Facebook WordPress Front-end Developers Group: This is a group for developers to ask queries, share work and discuss the emerging trends.
- LinkedIn PHP Developer Group: This unites PHP, Mysql, Drupal, Joomla, Zend, Cake, MVC developers.
- LinkedIn Web Site Development Group: This is a group for website designers and programmers.
- LinkedIn WordPress Developers Group: This helps developers to work with WordPress Codex and use WP for CMS and CMF.
- LinkedIn Web Design and Development Professionals Group: This offers a platform for networking and sharing of information by Web Designers, Developers and Web Masters.
- Sitepoint Forums: This is a discussion forum for web developers.
- /r/perfmatters: The offers information about web performance and development.
- com: This offers a learning platform for web developers and designers.
- /r/webdev: This lets you know what’s new for developers.
Smart Baba Digital Marketing Agency Dubai focuses on these tools help web developers and designers to work in a more efficient way and help them streamline their development process. These assist them to become efficient and more productive. There are many more such tools available to assist programmers and web developers to conduct effective workflow.